Luxembourgian Sunsets



Luxembourg. Summer 2018. 

        If you ever wanted to experience a quintessential European city, I suggest you visit Luxembourg City. It's a clean and walkable city, spread across two hill tops with a ravine dividing the older and newer parts of the city. The new part has the train and bus station and all sorts of stores. The older part has the cobble stone pavement, narrow streets, squares to sit and people watch. Not to mention the Palace of the Duchy that is by the central square where there's a farmers' market every Wednesday and Saturday morning. Truly, Luxembourg is one of my favorite destinations. 
        One of the first evenings I was there, as I stared out of the kitchen window of my sister's apartment (yes, she and her family are the reasons I traveled there. I couldn't resist the chance to spend the summer with my months-old nephew.) I saw this magnificent sunset. The sky was bright and vivid with color. I couldn't resist painting it. I sat there for an hour or two, painting with watercolor on paper. My sister sat next to me, watching and studying my amateur attempt of capturing the beauty before us. It turns out, she never painted. But after that evening, she took out the children's paints when I took out my watercolors, and we painted together. 
        This card sat on the windowsill my whole visit, reminding us of the magnificence of the sky. Throughout that summer I studied sunsets, always trying to get better at it. But for whatever reason, I've always loved this sunset. Maybe Luxembourg just has the best sunsets. 

Comments